Monday, June 26, 2006

Wise no more

A few months ago I went to the dentists to have them cleaned (mainly because the last time a dentist looked into my mouth was around 3 years ago) and when they did an x-ray showing my teeth, and right at the back on the bottom jaw, where a wisdom tooth lay, horizontally, underneath my gums, pushing up against the molar. On both sides. So, it was determinted that if I chose, I could get them removed. Well, combined with the fact that it was probably these teeth that had caused the misalignment of my bite, meaning I could no longer bite my nails in the way that I preferred, and the fact that it would be basically free (salamat trabaho) then what the hey, why not.

So fast forward to today, this morning to be specific. I was greeted into the office by a cheery middle-aged woman in dentists clothing, who ushered me into the little "cubicle", where there was a young bored teenage girl reading a book, who seemed to be her assistant of some sort. After the normal "small-talk", ie, do you smoke, allergic to anything, etc etc, I noticed a small middle-aged asian guy come in with a surly disposition, who I thought was the janitor or something. Next thing you know he's giving orders to the other two people! alright then.

So, I thought I would be fully sedated for this, as my friend who went through the same thing was. That notion somehow freaks me out, that doctors have the ability to just put you to sleep like that. Thankfully, I wasn't put through that. The "nurse" put something in my arm to help me "relax", and then the dentist went through the process of injecting me in several places to numb the pain. It was funny cause I could feel some of the "juice" going on my tongue, it had quite a bitter taste to it. Anyway, after several minutes of drilling, pulling, tugging, etc etc, it was done. I can't really remember much of it. I remember being led out, and I find nanay signing forms, then they realize that she wasnt supposed to, they give me a seperate form, and I just sign on the spots marked X. I will probably have to call them back to ask what it was that I had just signed. I was also being supported by the nurse that led me in previously, and I asked if I could have the teeth, but she said that they're gone, they were cracked/broken as they were being taken out. Oh well.

Again, the memory is blurred from the drugs, but all I can remember is coming home and going to sleep. Now, I don't know if other people have this problem, but when I sleep, my mouth doesn't like to drool. Instead, it keeps the mouth closed so that when awakening I have a mouth full of 5 hour old saliva, or panis na laway. However, today was different. The saliva didnt feel right. So I go to the bathroom, and slightly open my mouth to take a look, and I see my mouth filled to the brim with a viscous dark red colored liquid. The doctor's instructions specifically said no spitting after the operation. FUCK that. There was no way I was swallowing that. (Wow, never thought I'd have to say that line :P)

And now, the drugs have worn off, half my jaw feels numb, I can hardly open my mouth, and I am just waiting for the rest of the anesthesia to wear off so I can get hooked on painkillers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home